Under the direction and guidance of the Human Resources Manager, the Senior Benefits Specialist will serve as the subject matter expert to manage the benefit programs including medical, dental, vision, COBRA, life, short-term disability, long-term disability, flexible spending accounts, 401(k) plans following the plan documents and within the guidelines of ERISA and other applicable laws and regulations. This position is responsible for providing a high-level of team member customer service, ensuring accurate and timely program administration, evaluating, and recommending process improvements, and developing and delivering necessary benefit-related training for internal and external business partners.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage the implementation and administration of multiple complex employee health and welfare Benefit Plans and programs.
- Conduct extensive analyze of programs and plans relative to costs, the competitive market, and value to the organization and employees.
- Provide recommendations in planning, development, and implementation of program changes.
- Participate and review in the design of new benefit programs, policies, practices and/or the restructuring of Plan documents.
- Develops, recommends, and monitors budget allocations for employee benefit programs and services.
- Initiates and develops changes in policies and procedures that improve the quality, efficiency, and customer experience in the delivery and administration of benefits.
- Leads project/process teams in the review and evaluation of benefit plans to identify potential cost savings and changes that add value to the organization and employees.
- Manages plan contracts and service agreements with vendors and consultants to ensure compliance; evaluate quality of performance; and track and report metrics such as costs, utilization, etc. to management.
- Manages the annual renewal and re-bid process for benefits plans.
- Participates in negotiations with vendors of benefit products and services.
- Conducts pre-negotiation research, data analysis, and costing projections.
- Plans, develops, and directs the communication and implementation strategy for new and existing benefit programs such as retirement, open enrollment, etc.
- Conducts group orientations and consults with managers/employee on benefit programs features, policies and application.
- Develop strong relationships with third-party vendors and internal stakeholders to successfully deliver on assigned projects.
- Work closely with Finance department to track employee benefit programs financials and performance.
- Stay informed of regulatory and legislative changes that could impact Paskenta Tribe of Nomlaki Indians business entities regarding benefits and retirement.
- Oversee compliance calendar to ensure necessary documents are updated and distributed on time and in compliance.
- Educate and train HR team and employees on benefits and retirement.
- Lead annual vendor renewal process and participate in benefit program budgeting with Finance team.
- Review and improve current reporting and auditing processes for benefit and retirement programs.
- Reconciles benefits accounts by approving billing statements.
- Respond and resolve escalated benefit and retirement issues, as needed.
23. Serve as the Chair on the Benefits Committee.
24.Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- A Bachelor's degree from 4-year college in Human Resources or Business Administration, with 4+ years of benefit and retirement related experience; or 6 years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- A passion for inclusion, diversity, and accessibility, especially as they relate to employee programs and company policies.
- Knowledge of Federal, State, and local regulatory and compliance laws, e.g., ERISA, PPACA, FMLA, CFRA, PDL, etc.
- Excellent strategic planning skills, creative problem-solving capability, and project management skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to take a complicated topic and explain it in a simple way.
- Successful track record of working well under pressure, adapting to changing priorities and ability to work successfully in a fast paced, rapidly transforming and results oriented environment.
- Ability to handle confidential and sensitive information with appropriate discretion and good judgement.
- Detail orientation, accuracy, and the ability to work independently under minimal supervision.
- Ability to motivate and maintain effective working relationships with supervisor and staff from diverse cultures.
- High level of organizational skills, and ability to communicate effectively.
- Local travel is occasionally required.
12. Must successfully complete a pre-employment drug screen and background investigation.
NOTE TO APPLICANTS
Please be advised a pre-employment Drug Test and a Department of Justice Fingerprinting clearance will be required as a condition of employment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, sit, use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stoop. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Position may require exertion up to 20 pounds of force occasionally and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently or constantly lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Work is performed in an office setting. The noise level in the work environment is usually low to moderate. This job routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, telephones, photocopiers, and fax machines. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Employment with Paskenta Band of Nomlaki Indians is voluntarily entered. All PBNI personnel are employed on an at-will basis. At-will employment may be terminated with or without cause, and with or without notice at any time by the employee or by PBNI. No manager, supervisor, or employee of the organization has any authority to enter into an agreement for employment for any specified period or to make an agreement for employment other than at-will terms. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between Paskenta Band of Nomlaki Indians and employee and is subject to change by the Paskenta Band of Nomlaki Indians.